Thursday, October 6, 2011

Rachel

While reading this story, I found the background of the story interesting. First of all, in the scene where Mrs. Loving tells her children about her father and their half brother, I found it interesting that they didn't know the story. I was shocked to hear that they had no idea what happened, and didn't think to ask. Wouldn't you want to know what happened to your father, if you were a child?
I also found it very interesting when Mrs. Loving said, "Did you think-that-perhaps-the reason-I-I- wouldn't talk about them- was- because, because- I was ashamed- of them?" (page 1001, lines 599- 604) I am shocked that she wouldn't be proud of her husband, that he stood up for what he believed in, even if he knew the consequences. I would like to think that even though I would be very sad for this to occur, I would also be proud and tell my children how proud they should be of their father for trying to make a difference.
I couldn't believe that Mrs. Loving also just stood there and didn't try to stop George from getting involved. I would have thought that she would have at least yelled to him and told him to stop fighting for his father, so that he wouldn't get lynched too. This is just a scene that I found very interesting.

1 comment:

krenzi said...

Let's look at this particular moment in the play closer in class today; rather than being ashamed of her husband and son, she is ashamed that her children might have--via her silence--felt ashamed of them. Make sense?

We'll talk more in class today.

Dr. Renzi

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.