Thursday, October 6, 2011

Rachel

Strong: "It's rather hard being a girl, isn't it?"
Rachel: Oh no! It's not hard at all. Thats the trouble; they won't let me be a girl. I'd love to be."

From the beginning of this play I found great interest in the names of these characters. I think that the author of this play put great thought and purpose into choosing the names. The opening scene paints a picture of a spinsters home. This turns out to be Mrs. Lovings. The elder female in this play is alway worried about being proper and does not seem to like her daughter's childish ways. She finds her to lively and spontanious. Which is why it is interesting that her last name is lovings, she seems to have little love in her life. I also think that it is a symbol that the male in this play is named Mr. Strong. There is no way that either of these names for the characters were chosen at random.

1 comment:

bailey said...

I agree! There are definitely some different connotations that come along with the names of these characters. I think Mrs. Loving is not necessarily a love-less person, but her view of the world has been tainted. She wants the best for children and is very loving toward them, but she also knows the harsh realities of their role in society, so she can sometimes come off as being negative or un-loving.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.