“But Melanctha Herbert never really killed herself because she was so blue, though often she thought this would be really the best way for her to do. Melanctha never killed herself, she only got a bad fever and went into the hospital where they took good care of her and cured her.” (Stein, 457)
The ending really made me question Melanctha's death. I'm starting to believe that she may not have literally killed herself, but what made her so sick? I think in a way she made herself sick through her depression and I think this would be a very intersting topic to bring up in class tomorrow.
3 comments:
I think that Melanctha's death is also an interesting topic to discuss-- it almost seems like Melanctha wandered and searched for something all her life and never found quite what she was looking for. In the end, maybe her giving up on the search was what killed her. I know that consumption is a disease, but perhaps it could also be a metaphor for the way that she was consumed by this wandering throughout her life.
I definitely agree with both of you. It doesn't seem to me like the consumption just happened upon her. I think her "blue" feelings and lack of companionship made her ill and since there was nobody to help her through it it turned into consumption and killed her.
I agree with all of the above statements. I think that Melanctha's constant wandering and wanting of something more caused her to become so "blue". She never could quite acquire all of the "wisdom" and things that she was looking for. It seems as though the pain that she complained of might have been something more mental rather than an actual physical illness.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.