Here is the quote, "In America Negroes sometimes talked loudly of this, but in their hearts repudiated it. In their lives, too. They didn't want to be like themselves. What they wanted, asked for, begged for, was to be like their white overlords. They were ashamed to be Negroes, but not ashamed to bed to be something else."
I just found this quote interesting because Helga has trouble deciding which race she feels like she belongs to and flip flops a lot. This quote speaks for all America Negroes but I feel as though it shouldn't because not all people are the same. They do not have all the same thoughts about being black.
1 comment:
I agree with you. I think that the book speaks a lot for the American Negroes as a whole a lot which shouldn't be spoken for because Helga herself is an American Negro and she is completely different than the population that she describes. I also like that this quote says that they want to be like the "white overlords" because I think that many of the people want to be like this. They don't like white people because they discriminate and they want to be equal but then when blacks try to be equal with whites, they are discriminated against by the one race. No one wins.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.