This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Fall 2011. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Monday, October 24, 2011
Quicksand - Chapter 13
As I was reading Chapter 13, I was both interested and appalled at what I was reading. "True, she was attractive, unusual, in an exotic, almost savage way, but she wasn't one of them. She didn't count at all" (Pg. 65). The way she was was being treated was more like an object instead of a human. They dressed her up, cut her clothes, and put make-up on her to "show her off" to other people. By the quote I shared above, it portrays that people are almost amused by her in some way and not taking her seriously. It was strange that the painter came in to 'look at her'. He decided that he wanted to paint her because she seemed interesting, but he didn't actually address her like a human being.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.