So I looked up the symptoms of a sociopath and found: manipulation, superficial charm, pathological lying, shallow emotions, lack of compassion, impulsive, and promiscuity.... Sound familiar anyone?? Mary displays almost all of these symptoms throughout the play. She destroys the lives of everyone in her path and clearly shows no remorse. I was in utter disbelief with this chicks behavior and the fact that she is still so young clearly shows she has some sort of issue.
With that said I thought it was interesting that there were two stories acting side by side in this play. Would you say the main character was Mary? Or is it Martha and Karen? I frankly couldn't decide. A great deal of focus goes to Mary with her being such an extreme character. It would've been easy just to make the story about a normal girl hearing a rumor or mistaking actions but the author really developed Mary as a character. However, the friendship between Martha and Karen held the big plot of possible homosexuality and the "shame" that it causes in society. All leading to the death of Martha.... It certainly made for an interesting play.
2 comments:
couldn't agree more, I was holding back calling Mary a crazy lunatic, but I'm glad you got some definition that we can use for comparison! She is insane, and I was appalled by how she manipulated the entire cast.
I also agree, behavior like that is highly irregular especially in a child. But it also shocked me how willing the adults were to believing her.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.