Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Arsenic and Old Lace

I actually really enjoyed this movie and am glad I chose it for the presentation! A lot of interesting relationships are displayed throughout the movie. You have the two "spinster" aunts who live alone and seem to be sweet as can be. We find out quickly in the movie that they are anything but innocent, even if their intentions seem to be just that. Then there is Mortimer who apparently is this famous bachelor who wrote a book against marriage. The first scene opens at the marriage licensing office where he is marrying the what I viewed as one of the most cliche' female characters in a movie that I have ever seen. I thought it was interesting how excited Mortimer's aunts were about his marriage, but clearly they did not see marriage as fit for their lives.I think it's also interesting that their victims were always "lonely" old men even though it seemed that they assumed basically any old man as lonely who approached them about renting the room. There's a lot that can be analyzed in this movie and I'm excited to see what everyone else thinks!

2 comments:

Melissa Anderson said...

I completely agree with you. The aunts were so funny how nonchalant they took murdering the men. I think that they thought that it was okay though, like assisted suicide almost, in killing these old men.

Emily Turner said...

I agree - there are so many issues within this movie that can be analyzed. Mortimer and his status as a bachelor vs. the aunts and their spinster status, also against the idea of Elaine being a needy, cliche, woman in a film. I am also excited to see what the class thought of this movie!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.