This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Fall 2011. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Wednesday, November 30, 2011
The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
The peice that I thought was so interesting in this book was also the piece that did not sit too well with me as a pre-service teacher. I understand what Miss Brodie was trying to do with the girls with her teaching. And I also understand that incorporating your personal stories/ opinions into your teaching can help the students relate to you. But as a teacher it is important to give both sides of an issue and have the students have their own opinion. This is not something that Miss Brodie did well. I also think that the age of the girls needs to be factored in. The content of their learning is a bit mature for their age. So why did Spark choose for the girls to be so young?
1 comment:
Yeah, I completely agree with you. I liked her "personal level" with the girls only to a certain extent. I feel like the girls eventually got frustrated with her pressure and dispersed their different ways (especially Sandy betraying Miss. Brodie). I personally believe that teachers should keep their classroom at a balance between personal and professional. Miss. Brodie was playing with a fine line and I think it burned her at the end.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.