Like many others on this blog, I am also intrigued by the word "prime." It is a huge concept in the novel, and the word is repeated numerous times in the story. The word "prime" even finds its way into the title of the book. Obviously it is a concept that Spark finds extremely important.
Miss Brodie claims to be in her prime and makes a big deal of displaying it. She mystifies the girls of the school with her glamorous stories, and makes sure that they understand her current level of "prime." The girls wonder what "prime" means, and I wonder what it truly means as well. For as much as Miss Brodie claimed to be in her prime it was pretty much all talk. Brodie was obviously bragging about her prime to make up for her own lackluster life.
What I would like to discuss in class is how do we define prime? How does Miss Brodie define it, and how do the girls? Also, is Miss Brodie truly at her prime? I would argue no. . .
1 comment:
Agreed, I find it interesting that we don't get a definition of how Miss Brodie thinks of prime, other than herself.
I wonder if the girls in the Brodie set even can understand it, at least when they were in her class for the two years.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.