Monday, November 21, 2011

Poor Old Miss Marple

I had a lot of ideas that I thought Miss Marple might represent. First of all, if this lady isn't a spinster then I don't know who is! I thought it was interesting how she was excluded from solving the mysteries yet ended up being the sort of noble old woman who was able to solve them. It just reminded me of this cliche' grandma image that I have in my mind. Along with this image are the ideas behind an old grandma type figure, often including lots of wisdom and knowledge. This was exactly how I came to view Miss Marple. I guess what's more important is what exactly this story was trying to tell us about elderly "spinster" women in particular and how they are treated and viewed. Or, is it more about how they should be treated and viewed?

1 comment:

bailey said...

I agree that she is the typical old maid/spinster, but I am happy that she has something else to prove because she is helping break that stereotype by having other qualities that exist outside of it. I think people see/treat her differently once they see what she's capable of.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.