I liked this quote because I think it explains Lolly's thought process very well, she isn't an odd ball, ugly, or unwanted; she's simply herself. She isn't afraid of commitment or the outside world she's use content in herself. In the book everyone was so confused on why she wasn't married off or at least making herself comfortable in her own fortune but this isn't what she wanted. She enjoyed going against the grain because the grain was "dreadful" to her. Why live the way your "suppose" to live when you're not happy with it, why settle down when you can be alone and be happier. She did what she wanted and didn't hurt anyone in the process so I couldn't understand why they didn't just let her be.
This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Fall 2011. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Tuesday, November 8, 2011
Lolly
"Nothing for them exept subjection and plaiting their hair.....It sounds very petty to complain about, but I tell you, that sort of thing settles down on one like a fine dust, and by the by the dust is age, settling down. Settling down! You never die, do you? No doubt that's far worse, but there's a dreadful kind of dreary immortality about being settled down on by one day after another."
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.