Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Hunchback

"No one in the town, not even Miss Amelia, had any idea how old the hunchback was. Some maintained that when he came to town he was about twelve years old, still a child--others were certain that he was well past forty" (63).

I found this quote especially interesting because we were just discussing the hunchback's age in class on Thursday. I did find his childish qualities interesting (sweet snuff, receiving of gifts at any time, and following everyone around) but it is amazing to me how big of a age gap that is described in the book. Twenty eight years is a massive gap, and it is also interesting that when people ask his age he claims to not know. I find this very peculiar.

1 comment:

Emily_G said...

I found this quote to stand out to me as well. I do not understand how someone could mistake him for twelve if he was really 40, and vice versa. If he was actually twelve, that would make more sense as to why Miss Amelia allows him to act so childish at times, and why she caters to his every need. There are some parts in the book, however, that lead me to believe he is in fact older, such as when talking about crime and how he was almost jealous that Marvin had been to Atlanta.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.