Thursday, November 17, 2011

Arsenic and Old Lace

I found it odd that Mortimer was so concerned with getting his brother committed when he knew that his aunts were the ones that killed the men. Also, the fact that he was freaking out about the whole situation until everyone started fighting, and then he was the only calm one. I think of all the people, the aunts were the ones to be concerned about because no one would expect that they would commit those crimes. Mortimer was all concerned until he found out that he wasn't actually related and then he didn't care anymore. I was annoyed that he blew off Elaine while all this was going on and then he ran back to her as soon as it was settled.

3 comments:

Chelsey Pearson said...

I actually feel the opposite as far as Elaine and Mortimer are concerned. I found Elaine's character to be extremely annoying and weak. While I can understand that they were just married I can also understand why Mortimer was acting that way. If I were trying to save my family I wouldn't want to be bothered by an annoying wife with petty worries either.

Makia Brooks said...

Agreed. I was annoyed (and somewhat amused) at Mortimer's determination in protecting his aunts. Yet, when his wife needed protecting (or at least a listening ear) about her assault by the brother, he ignored her. In this situation, I think the aunts were viewed as passive and helpless; Mortimer felt obliged to protect them. I still think he should have shown more respect for his wife though.

Marilyn said...

I also thought it was interesting that Mortimer was mainly focused on getting his brother committed. This was even more interesting because in his drive to do so he seemed to push his new wife (whom you would think he would be focused on) to the side more and more.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.