Friday, November 18, 2011

Arsenic and Old Lace

I'm sure I'm not the only one to feel this way but Elaine really got under my skin during this movie. She was extremely annoying to me because of her lack of independence and her overall submission to Mortimer. I also thought it was intersting that her character really didn't play much of a role in the movie. She was really more of an annoyance to Mortimer as he was trying to figure things out. This then brings me to question why she was in the movie in the first place and as the discussion group asked, what was the signficicance to Mortimer marrying her in the beginning?

1 comment:

Sam said...

I feel like this question comes up primarily because of the way in which the stage show has been adapted into a movie. I have performed this as a stage show and I was actually Elaine so I feel like I can provide a little insight into this. In the stage production they do not actually get married in the beginning- Mortimer proposes to her. The rest of the show he (like in the movie) goes between kicking her out and actually wanting to marry her. She gets more and more frustrated with him because she has no idea what is going on. I believe the reason for this in the plot is because it just creates all the more confusion for Mortimer adding on to the various dead bodies, his brother, and his aunts. Not only is there a dead man in the window seat, and a murderous brother in town, but his new fiancee keeps popping up at the most inconvenient times and complicating life all the more.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.