I was just wondering, if everyone had to pick one theme from the course as the main theme wht would they choose and why?
I think the biggest theme is that of women as an individual, not just a single woman or a spinster but as a person, with her own desires and feelings and thoughts.
3 comments:
I think you are certainly right to say that the course embodied themes of women as individuals. I also think the course revealed many of the seemingly "natural" constraints put on women historically and presently. Many of the women we read about seem to be caught in a situation in which they are either considered to be a "spinster" or "promiscuous" if they are not married. Many of these women are desperately wanting to get married to escape these negative connotations.
So my comment never posted like two days ago...lol but yes I definitely agree the the theme was more about identity than being a spinster. Most of the women struggled to get men or to satisfy the "idea" of what a woman should do or be because they weren't sure who they were.
I agree, I also would point out how women in these reading never really thought about solely themselves. I think thats a big problem with women in anytime period. They are so easily distracted by what they should be or what they want to be they cannot appreciate the what they are and nurture that positive trait. Does being an individual include thinking about yourself and own opinions, goals solely or does it include taking others into an account but ultimately going with your own thought?
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.