Saturday, November 5, 2011

Talking with the Devil

I thought the very last few pages of Lolly Willowes were the most intersting but also confusing at the same time. Laura finally speaks her peace with the Devil about how she feels women are portrayed and looked at in the society. But what I am confused about is what exactly the Devil's reaction to all of this was? It said that she felt "freed" after talking with the Devil but why? I was under the impression that she followed him and agreed with him but all of a sudden she showed her true colors and it was almost like she was going against him? Any thoughts?

1 comment:

mallory_londeck said...

I agree with you. The final scene of the novel was one of the most interesting and confusing parts of the book. I thought it was interesting how the "devil" made Lolly share her thoughts not to explain it to him, but to explain her thoughts to herself. And then Lolly goes on this huge rant and pretty much dominates the entire conversation with the devil. I don't really know what to make of this. To me, Lolly appears to leave this conversation on a positive note and with a sense of freedom. Now that she is under the devil's control she can do whatever she wants and not have to worry.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.