This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Fall 2011. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Tuesday, November 29, 2011
The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
I found the beginning of this book to be rather interesting. As I was reading, I kept forgetting that these girls were only ten-years-old. The concepts that these girls were discussing and learning about were way too ahead of what typical girls of that age should be learning about. I also thought the whole "Brodie set" was quite strange. It reminded me of a typical clique however the fact that Miss Brodie was in charge of it struck me as weird. I thought her relationship with the girls was atypical and odd. I don't really understand why she keeps discussing her prime with ten year old girls.
2 comments:
Although it is strange how she decides to simply pick a group of girls I think the point is to try and "mold" them and mature them with her life's story and current experiences so they would be more knowledgeable earlier on and maybe not be so naive and make so many mistakes as most girls who stumble into their teen and young adult years learning by trial and error.
I completely agree, as I was reading this I kept thinking that she was talking to young women who were in their late teens. The material she was covering I felt was sometimes necessary, but I also felt as if it was too advanced for girls of their age. They should have been exposed to some of these topics at an older age.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.