Monday, November 28, 2011

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie

I finished the whole book, so sorry if I discuss things that are after chapter four! It all kind of morphed together.

I really dislike Miss Brodie. I find her teaching methods hypocritical. She is attempting to teach the girls to think for themselves, but ultimately they are wrong if they do not agree with her. She picks favorites, which is not right. She's self-centered and obsessed with the notion of her "prime." What does that even mean? What makes Miss Brodie in her prime? Her age? Looks? Male suitors? Her job? All of the above? All she ever did was brag about the concept of being in her prime, and made her students find her superior to others because of this.

“You did well,” said Miss Brodie to the class, when Miss Mackay had gone, “not to answer the question put to you. It is well, when in difficulties, to say never a word, neither black nor white. Speech is silver, but silence is golden.” (Pg. 10) She is teaching her students not to voice their opinions and thoughts. What kind of teacher is that? She is so afraid that if one of her students has an original thought that they may find error in her ways. Silence is the best for her because it makes her voice the one in control, the one that is listened to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.