This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Fall 2011. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Tuesday, November 29, 2011
Miss Brodie is a Creep!
I started to get a little weirded out the most in the middle and end of this book. I thought it was creepy how all of the portraits Mr. Lloyd was painting of Rose and the other girls resembled Miss Brodie. I just felt like it symbolized how much of Miss Brodie was not inherently a part of these girls. I also thought it was weird how obsessed Miss Brodie became with Rose having an affair with Mr. Lloyd. I just thought of it as this creepy older person trying to live out their life through a younger person. I don't know, but just the fact that she's a teacher makes this all even more creepy to me because I can't help but feel like she took advantage of the Brodie set by influencing them so greatly at such a vulnerable age initially. It just makes you think a lot and how you would be different if you were so greatly influenced by a teacher and their thoughts/experiences that really are not appropriate to be shared in school (at least in society's opinion).
1 comment:
I agree with you about Miss Brodie trying to live through her girls. I also think that by encouraging Rose to have the love affair she was actually trying to turn Rose into her. Somewhere in that section she talks about giving Rose her knowledge and her lover. It's just a weird situation.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.