This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Fall 2011. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Wednesday, November 9, 2011
Lowell
Since poetry generally goes over my head I decided to look at Lowell's in more depth and try to pick out places that she could have been making connections to the topics that we discuss in class. In "The Pike" I found it interesting that the pike was "lost among the shadows of stems." This reminds me of some of the 'wandering' characters that we have discussed in class. In "Venus Transiens" there is talk of beauty, which we often don't see when we picture something like an old maid. I found it interesting in "A Decade" that the subject is being compared to 'red wine and honey' because red wine is often seen as something romantic shared between a woman and a man. And I could definitely make the connection in "New Heavens for Old" because of the line "They call for women and the women come." I could see this being said by a spinster who doesn't want a man in her life because she does not want to be controlled by anyone, instead she wants to be an individual.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.