Thursday, November 10, 2011

Imagery

Amy Lowell's poems all enabled me to paint a sort of picture in my mind as I read - which, makes sense as she portrays imagery. The Pike included words that are very descriptive in nature: relating to the different colors, the different types of light, the movement of the pike. In her poem, A Decade, the words are descriptive of something more abstract, while still being descriptive with choice of words. She included shapes, textures, and intensity to describe something that is not tangible. It seems to be about an initial attraction, but as time goes on the intensity of a relationship decreases over a decade (which I assume from the title of the poem), the relationship is familiar, yet she is still content. That was what I took from the readings and thought it was interesting to see how she was able to carry that imagery to both concrete (pike) and abstract (relationship?) concepts.

2 comments:

Jennifer Doebler said...

I thought the same thing. Finding imagery in these poems made me think about learning poetry in high school and what the qualities were. Imagery helps me visually capture everything that is happening in the poem as well as stories. I also thought it was interesting to see how she was able to use imagery throughout her poems.

natykay said...

Imagery is what saves me when it comes to understanding poetry. Without imagery I am forced to work with words that I do not understand, and therefore get frustrated by figuring out the meanings of poems. This is why I particularly enjoyed reading Amy Lowell's poetry, because I could very easily follow her writing and envision it in my head.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.