This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Fall 2011. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Thursday, November 10, 2011
H.D The City is Peopled
I read this poem as H.D telling someone that they love them. It is almost like she was saying - through all of the people in the world, I only have eyes for you or I only love you. Although I thought this was the main idea of the poem, I was confused by the idea of spirits vs. ghosts and what she was trying to tell the reader by saying this.
2 comments:
I find it interesting that we both got different meanings out of this poem. However, I can see where your meaning comes from in the story. I think that is the most interesting part about poetry, that it can be interpreted many different ways.
I totally did not even see that meaning until you posted this. Maybe the spirits represent a kind of 'living' you get when you are in love and the ghosts are those people who have not yet found it. So the spirits/people in love bring life and beauty to everything else.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.