Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Children's Hour

I couldn't help but feel that the relationship between Martha and Karen was written in a way to prove a point about spinsters or bachelorettes. The fact that their relationship started as a rumor says to me that as close as they were, I don't think true love existed there, I believe they were simply meant to be best friends. The point being, just as women don't HAVE to adhere to getting married, having kids, staying at home, a spinster doesn't have to adhere to the rules of being in love with women and whatever other stereotypes. The ending of her life signifies a dead end for Martha, the rumors trapped her, with no identity and nowhere she could turn for comfort, there was only one choice. I want to say though, that even though I didn't think they were lovers, I thought it was tragic how it ended and the biggest absolute bummer that they just couldn't chill together in peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like this idea. I also think that it is interesting that people would rather believe that they were lovers than to accept that they were content to be alone. It's as if society is saying that you have to partner with someone, even if it is an unnatural partnership, it is more natural than being alone.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.