This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Fall 2011. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Sunday, November 20, 2011
Arsenic and Old Lace
This movie was a bit confusing to me at first because the opening scenes were about a couple that was getting married. I was trying to figure out how this could relate to our 'spinster' themed class. Then the two aunts were introduced. I thought they were unique and unlike the other 'spinsters' that we have studied in our class becuase they did have a hobby. They had something that made their lives meaningful, the only weird thing about it was their hobby was to kill old lonely men. It was ironic that they couldn't see that they were also old lonely women themselves.
3 comments:
I like the paralleling themes you noticed about how the lonely old ladies kill lonely old men, like themselves. Something that I thought was weird about the film was that the film is considered a comedy, but the main conflict revolves around the two old ladies killing a bunch of old men, which really, is not so funny.
I read your post and thought it was great how you pointed out that it was ironic that the women didn't notice that they were lonely women themselves as they were killing lonely men. I thought it was weird too when I created my post, but I couldn't put my finger on why it was ironic. I also thought it was weird that Mortimer was more worried about getting Teddy in the asylum rather than the Brewster sister killers.
i think it's important to note the difference between the lonely women and lonely men. The lonely men the aunts killed were lonely because their wives died and they were left behind in the institution of marriage, the pinnacle happiness in life as described earlier by the preacher. The women were never married and never really acted depressed and alienated from the institution of marriage because it was never an endeavor they pursued. To them it was charitable to take the lives of those lonely souls because they were so feeble to put such strong beliefs into an institution.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.