Sunday, November 13, 2011

Arsenic and Old Lace

When I was watching this movie I was genuinely interested to see how everything was going to fall into place. The two aunts were the most funny characters and so "innocent" in their ways. They were only trying to do something that they thought was good. They were not intentionally trying to harm anyone even though the 12 people they had killed by poisoning them was still killing them. The fact that they wanted to make sure they still had a proper burial was another aspect that was almost childlike and innocent. These two people reminded me of a grandmother figure because of how caring and stated whatever was on their mind no matter what it was. They also were representing the witch-like qualities but in a unique way. The one aunt enjoyed making poisons into wine. They also found peace and felt it was their duty in order to "cure" these lonely old men and they did this by poisoning them which left them in a peaceful slumber. I enjoyed this movie and it helped me realize that thought these two figures were witch-like they still had a caring quality about them.

2 comments:

Lindsey Schering said...

I completely agree that both of these women would remind you of a sweet old grandmother. They also had a lot of the old maid characteristics that we have spoken of in class in just about every aspect, ranging from their personalities to their style of dress. It's also funny how they think that killing these men is the right thing to do which would go along with the genre of black humor.

Jen Mathieson said...

Agreed, but I couldn't help and feel bad for Elaine. The aunts were so helpful and kind to her, yet they seemed her only rescue. Mortimer was constantly ignoring her (understandably I guess), but I felt that the ending should have had a happier ending with the two of them.
I did like how the aunts were trying to heal all, while in reality they were killing people.
This movie had a lot of comical parts, and was not at all like I had first imagined it to be.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.