Monday, October 24, 2011

Quicksand

I found Helga Crane to be an annoying character because she could never make up her mind with what she wanted to do with her life. I think her indecisiveness does her in at the end of the book. I found it interesting how on pages 68 and 69 it says, "How stupid she had been ever to have thought that she could marry and perhaps have children in a land where every dark child was handicapped at the start by the shroud of color! She saw, suddenly, the giving birth to little, helpless, unprotesting Negro children as a sin, an unforgivable outrage." This was interesting to me because she winds up marrying a Reverend and having six children with him....quite ironic. Her whole life wound up going against what she wanted for herself.

1 comment:

mallory_londeck said...

I agree with your statement. Everything Helga was striving for throughout the novel, she really failed to achieve. It was super ironic that she ended up having so many children with a preacher, when she viewed having kids as a "sin" earlier.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.