I'm not sure if I just 'missed the boat' on this one but I figured the blog would be a good place to ask the question of why Selden wanted Lily to quit the job with Mrs. Hatch so bad? Mrs. Hatch did not seem to be described in the most positive light (concerning all of her divorces and so on) so I wasn't sure if he knew that she simply just was not a good person or if there was more to it? Also, this made Lily want to stay with Mrs. Hatch even more which also confused me. She clearly had a lot of respect for Selden and seemed to value what he said most of the time (whether she admitted it or not) so why would this make her have the desire to work for her longer? I don't know why, but this little part of the story confused me a lot.
I also had some trouble deciphering what was gossip and what was true concerning Lily's trip to Europe with the Dorsets. Carry was explaining to Selden the story of Lily's engagement to a prince but then I was confused when there was information brought in about her leaving the prince for his stepbrother or someone along these lines? At first I thought that the falling through of the engagement was supposed to put Lily in a positive light, showing that she wasn't simply marrying someone for their status, but then there was all of the information about the prince's relative which confused me as well.
-Lindsey Schering
1 comment:
The way I interpreted the Selden and Lily scene was that Selden did not want her doing anything that she didn't have to do. I don't think Selden realized how much Lily owed. Also, I think Selden just did not want Lily working in general and to live her life the way she has been living it, in the comfort of her home. I think Lily wanted to stay with Mrs. Hatch more in order to prove to Selden that she could live up to her obligations no matter what she had to do and even though she knew the struggle of working, she had to prove to him that she could do it.
I had some trouble deciphering what was gossip and what was true concerning Lily's trip to Eruope with the Dorsets too.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.