Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Melanctha

I couldn't think of a creative title for this one, so I just went with the story title.

Anyway, I found this reading incredibly difficult to get through due to the repetitive nature of it. I also found it really hard to figure out what was going on or what Melanctha was really doing because of the language being used.

One interesting thing I have noticed is how the author uses various forms of "black", "nigress", and "colored" among other terms to describe people of African American descent. I don't feel like there is really a pattern to the use of the various terms that I have found yet, but I am still looking for one. Has anybody else noticed any pattern in the use of these terms or are they just arbitrary?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.