This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Fall 2011. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Wednesday, October 5, 2011
Justine Albaugh Rachel's Urge to Mother
I was shocked in the beginning of the story by Rachel's pressing urge to be a mother. I also found it interesting that she states that she cares for black babies more than any other types of babies. I find this to be strange because, although she states that she cares for all babies and does not dislike other races, saying that you like someone more based on race is in some way discriminating against them. I thought that this was strange because shortly after in Scene I Mrs. Loving tells Tom and Rachel about their half brother and father who were lynched by racist white christians. Although Rachel's thoughts about other non-black babies are in no way malicious I found this to be very minimally contradictory. However, I did like the connection between George and the baby Jimmy, and I liked how Act II begins four years later with Jimmy as Rachel's son.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.