This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Fall 2011. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Sunday, October 30, 2011
The hunchback and Marvin
I found it very interesting that the Hunchback happened to be so intrigued by Marvin Macy returning and following him around like a puppy dog. On page 55 this is mostly talked about. The fact that the Hunchback should not have been so buddy-buddy with Marvin is what intrigues me. I would have thought that Miss Amelia would have forbade this from happening yet she let him go off with Marvin which I thought was really weird. Marvin Macy was considered a not talked about subject for the Hunchback and Miss Amelia which I understood that it would make him curious about this stranger but I would have thought he would have been doing this following as a cautious type of thing not to be so fascinated by Marvin.
2 comments:
I also found it weird that Miss Amelia did not forbid Lymon from seeing Marvin Macy. She does such contradictory things that to some extent I think it might be a mixture of her love for both men that causes her to do such things. I think part of her may have worried that if she forbade Lymon he would leave her, which would be devastating because she loves him so much.
Because of the ending, I am wondering if this was a plot of Marvins. So for example, the hunchback came into town asking for Miss Amelia because Marvin told him what to do, then he shows up down the road and has this plot to get revenge on Miss Amelia. So the reason why Lymon was following him around was because he actually knew him. Just a thought.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.