Monday, October 31, 2011

Holy weird ending

After reading the second half of this story I started to laugh. I am confused about everything. Why did Marvin and Miss Amelia fight? Why was Cousin Lymon obsessed with following Marvin? Why did he attach Miss Amelia after her fight with Marvin. I'm trying to find some sort of meaning between all of these strange events, but I am just so perplexed. The only interesting thing that tied to story together was how it sort of ended the way that it began. Miss Amelia begins as sort of an outsider to her society and the story ends with her completely shutting herself off to the world around her by boarding up her windows. I am confused about the twelve mortal men ending. I am not sure how that has anything to do with the rest of the story. I look forward to discussing this tomorrow in class.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that the end part of the Twelve Mortal Men may have been used for a few purposes. Perhaps it reflects Amelia's life; starting out alone (a single voice) and then having a relationship (many voices singing) and finally ending alone ("at last there remains only one voice"). It may also be a comparison of marriage/love and chains. Reflecting that Amelia's partnerships were held together by chains=similarities.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.