This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Fall 2011. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Tuesday, October 4, 2011
A Good Fortune for Ruby
From the very beginning I thought Ruby was an ignorant woman. She was clearly in denial of something, however I thought she actually might have cancer. After her neighbor points out that Ruby is in fact pregnant I went back and re-read the descriptions and definitely think she is. In the beginning she states that she is nauseous, and then she has swollen ankles which happens to pregnant women often, as well as her becoming fatter than usual. I think that after her mom lost several children and became old looking after each loss and child Ruby created a dislike for children which is probably why she is in denial that she is pregnant. When Ruby says, "I don't need to go to no doctor. I can take care of myself" I think she is being ignorant to the fact that she could be pregnant. I really think she hadn't exactly thought about the fact that all of these signs meant she was pregnant. Especially since she thought her "good fortune" was that her and her husband were going to be moving. I disliked Ruby because of her ignorance and I just found her to be annoying in the way she interacted with her neighbors.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.