Monday, October 10, 2011

The Brother

"He had only wanted to play with her. In a way he had wanted to show her that he loved her above life and death" (Welty, 167). This part of the story was confusing and interesting to me. It gave light to the way he felt about Rosemary but it was confusing in the way that he said "play". This might just be my opinion but I'm confused because why would a man that professes his love so deeply joke about killing her literally by putting a gun to her chest? I think this says a lot about how men viewed women at the time but also how they couldn't live without them.

1 comment:

mallory_londeck said...

I agree with you, I thought the whole mention of the brother was very interesting, and I found him to be an intriguing character. To me he's a man who has completely lost it after being left by his wife. His love for her is so passionate that he says he loves her "above life and death." To me, that was the most profound statement in the whole story.

I also thought his use of the word "play" to be very confusing. I'm wondering why he chose that word instead of a more common phrase like "love her" or "be with her" or something more typical. . .

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.