Tuesday, September 6, 2011

What's up with rape?

In the introduction of The Spinster and Her Enemies, I was taken back by the mention of rape and what control it has (or had) over women. This introduction shows that contemporary feminists view rape as a social control, which I can totally understand. But when you put out in words what social control is, it makes me think if women really understand why men rape. "Effect of restricting where women may go, what women may do, and serves to keep us in our place which is subordinate to me." I have watched many Law and Order SVU marathons to know that rape does happen, but I never once thought that it was to restrict someone from having a life of freedom or "keep us in our place," I guess I just thought that the man liked control or was in the mood.

When they label it as a social control, it disgusts me even more. Why would someone feel the need to do that to a woman just to make sure she knows where her place is in society?

1 comment:

Katie Barbuscak said...

I could be wrong about this but I think that the knowledge of social control among men was more prevalent in earlier societies. For instance men sometimes would rape their women slaves to show superiority. Or husbands raping their wives in order to show who has the upper hand. Now I think it is sort of a different situation. In most cases I would guess, the man does not think "hey I'm going to rape this women" in order to gain control over her place in society....However, with that said rape still does unconsciously create social control. Women don't feel comfortable walking around at night or being in male dominated situation alone (ex. the army). This is because we fear what could potentially happen to us.

I guess my point is that social control still exists but it seems to be more subtle than it probably used to be.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.