Tuesday, September 6, 2011

A New Twist on Spinsters

Because of our class discussion today I was able to take away more from A New England Nun than I would have been able to without the discussion. I definitely feel like it is a play on spinsters but it has a different twist to it. The twist is that the spinster (Louisa) does fall in love and plan on entering marriage with a man but ultimately ends up remaining alone after realizing the man loves someone else. However, what I took from the story was that Lousia also realizes that she does not want the marriage afterall because she has become comfortable with her life of solitude. She likes things to be her way and does not seem to like change at all.

I also think Freeman is saying something along the lines of being a spinster makes a women better off than she would be if she got married because Lousia is given a choice between the two and she chooses to remain alone. I'm interested to see if anyone else in the class took this from the story or something completely different?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.