This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Fall 2011. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Wednesday, September 7, 2011
New England Nun
wow, I was not ready for the ending of the New England Nun reading. In all honesty, I was not really sure what the beginning of the reading had to do with our lectures, other than the woman being the domestic worker with little control of her surroundings. Lousia Ellis is a domestic woman who is middle class and stuck in her work waiting fourteen years for her love Joe Dagget. He left Louisa and had her waiting, and Louisa once marrying him will be forced to leave her old life behind, and become nothing more than his wife. Not only was Louisa the woman working about the house, but the dog was really the only thing that she had little control of. I found it interesting that the dog Caesar was continuously brought up, proving that she did have some control, but not any when it came to her life her marriage or her man. Also, the fact that it stated that Louisa looks older than Joe insinuated the idea of her being an old maid. As the reading talked about Lily Dyer it showed that she was younger, as the story went on, I could tell that something would happen between Lily and Louisa. Once the line "I ain't the sort of girl to feel this way twice" appeared, I knew that Joe had been faithful but mistrusting in his relationship with Louisa. I was surprised to see that Louisa stood up for herself, and that she ended the relationship well and cordially. Once reading about Lily and Joe, it was apparent that Louisa would be considered an old maid, like a nun who will never have a man for herself.
2 comments:
I agree with you, I was very shocked by the ending. I was happy that Louisa felt strong and independent enough that she didn't need to marry Joe, simply because she had waited so long for him. Why did the line "I ain't the sort of girl to feel this way twice" help you to understand or feel that Joe had been faithful to Louisa? I agree, I think it was more that he hadn't been trustworthy, but I am just curious why that line stuck out to you.
I completely agree with the fact that the story went along with the class lecture. Before discussing the history of woman's rights in class I didn't have as much appreciation for feminists or their literature, until I fully realized the seriousness of their inequality in society. I thought that it was very bold of Louisa to be independent and to not marry Joe. Once again, learning about the realities of woman's rights throughout this time is very disturbing, and I am eager to have a new outlook on the literature we will be exploring in this course.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.