Thursday, September 29, 2011

House of Mirth

I think that it is important to notice the details that have continuously popped up in the book so far. Lily's obsession with money and avoiding anything too "dingy" is a reflection of her efforts to not be like her mother. Her mother was left in poverty after her father declared financial ruin. It's a natural feeling to have a need to be accepted by society. Having wealth is an easy way to declare one's spot in society, so it's understandable that she was desperate to gain money in any way--including gambling. I would hate having people talk about me behind my back or twist the truth of any innocent actions into worthwhile gossip, so I can also relate to why Lily lied about who she was with in order to avoid bad gossip. It's one thing to be talked about for your wealth, another to be marked by scandal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.