This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Fall 2011. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Thursday, September 29, 2011
The House of Mirth
Money is an important factor throughout this book, as we've seen. It is interesting to see that it is such a key motivation in regards to marriage and Lily's lifestyle. This forces me to compare the novel to today's society, where people find money to be such a motivating factor in their daily lives and place so much importance on social status and wealth. The idea of money - to many - is that is brings a more enjoyable, relaxed lifestyle. Throughout the novel, money controls emotions, actions, and more - I couldn't help but draw a parallel to the way people feel, even in today's society.
1 comment:
I agree with you completely on this. I think there is definitely a parallel between the way people valued money and status in the book and the way people view it today. It's a sad truth but clearly something that has not and may never change. I
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.