This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Fall 2011. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Monday, September 26, 2011
The House Of Mirth
On page 9 there is a part that seemed really depressing to me. '"It wasn't meant to be disagreeable," he returned amicably. "Isn't marriage your vocation? Isn't it what you're all brought up for?" She sighed. "I suppose so. What else is there?"' The fact that the only reason why women are raised is to get married is somewhat going against the spinster attitude and the way they live. Also, the fact that Lily is depressed that this is her only purpose in life is to marry someone, is why I believe she is interested in only rich men in order to have a lavish life. I feel bad for her in the sense that she feels she only has one purpose in her life which revolves around marriage and her looks.
2 comments:
This is also a passage that I had noticed in the reading. It does seem like a sad fate to be raised for the sole purpose of marrying, and yet that was pretty much the idea back then. I also found it interesting that Lily is aware of the fact that she is going to marry for money and knows that everyone else knows it too, but she doesn't really care, because that's what she has to do in order to maintain the lifestyle she intends to live. I also feel bad for her because she mentions how boring she finds Mr. Gryce, but is willing to let him bore her for the rest of her life to gain the means she needs to live.
This is a really good/sad passage to look at and I agree with both of your statements. What I also found interesting though is later on in Lily and Lawerence's conversation about marriage. Lily say's to him "Ah, there's the difference- a girl must, a man may if he chooses" (pg 12.). Unfortunately, that was very true in those days. And then further Lily says "We are expected to be pretty and well-dressed till we drop- and if we can't keep it up alone, we have to go into partnership" and then it states that "Selden glanced at her with amusement: it was impossible, even with her lovely eyes imploring him, to take a sentimental view of her case". That statement means two things to me. First, it seems that he just doesn't understand her situation, and considering the fact that he is a man it is not something he would have to worry about. Secondly, Selden doesn't live his life around money and so it is hard for him to understand her quest for wealth.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.