Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Goblin Market

I found the "Globlin Market" to be a unique display of the hidden realities that existed within feminists at that time. Personally, I was very enticed by the poem. I thought that Rossetti's use or paralleling the men to the sweetness of fruit was very powerful. I had never thought of how similar seduction and fruit could be until I read this poem. Something that I thought of throughout reading this poem was the impact that Lizzie had on Laura. I sort of thought of Lizzie as Laura's conscious. Maybe even a Holy Spirit like figure in her life, trying to steer her away from the evil, which in this case was the male sex. Laura ultimately chooses the evil in their feminist driven world.

Another thought I had while reading this poem was that sometimes you can be lured in to certain situations based on attractive qualities. In this case Laura was lured in by the mens fruit. The men alone might not have been able to trap her in without the help of the delicious fruit. The fruit masked the men.

Another point I considered throughout reading this was if the author was trying to capture the instinctual power that Laura had with the men, and woman and men in general. Being attracted to another person is very natural and even her powerful feminist, anti-men ways couldn't break the connection.

Just a few thoughts on the poem. Overall, I really enjoyed reading this.

Justine Albaugh

PS - You mentioned being able to post after 10:00 am. I wrote this last night, but was unable to get near a computer until this morning! I hope that is okay for the first blog. Thank you!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I disagree with you when you say that Laura and Lizzie are not individuals and are somehow compounded spiritually or metaphysically. It's my belief that the "antidote" to the fruit of the goblin men is sisterhood––that is to say, women must stick together and remain strong by supporting one another, as the sisters do.

Chelsey Pearson said...

I think you made a great point when you said that Laura was lured in by not the goblins themselves but the fruit. I think that makes an interesting play on women's sexual desires which was talked about in class today. We talked about how back in the Victorian Era men could not control their desires and women didn't have any but this poem is clearly showing that women have sexual desires of their own and can indeed act on them if they chose to do so.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.