Thursday, September 15, 2011

Cranford=Foolishness

Honestly, I did not care for this read. It was very slow, and full of personal feelings. Some women did not car for the men, didn’t want them in their “oh so” perfect town. But still women were getting married, having kids, it wasn’t anything consistent. Like were these women feminists, or just acting? I don’t feel like they are seriously having REAL issues or going through anything serious, their little Victorian town didn’t seem like it was so "uneventful."

Like for Deborah, being so lost when her father died or being stranded I guess in Cranford they said "Poor Deborah!"? It just seems silly to me, before their father died, he thanked Deborah for all she had been for him (so not bad blood) and she had the nerve to be upset because they went from 3 maids and a man to one maid that does everything?! it’s crazy and it looks like these women just want something to complain about and be said and want to make rights about.

The only think that was a bit funny to me was how everyone had this feeling about money. The people who may not have been wealthy, still tried to act as if they were! It’s like people chose to be this silly...I am not sure, but this is my opinion over this book and most of the readings.

2 comments:

Katie Barbuscak said...

I agree with you however, I also look at it from a realistic standpoint. While these women claim to not like men, there were a lot of them who did choose marriage. I think a large part of that discrepancy comes from conformity. Cranford is an exclusive group of women and it doesn't seem to take much to be excluded among them. On top of that Ms. Jamieson seems to be one of the more important women in the society and she is very against marriage, as seen in later chapters. So I wonder if it is not that the women are so extremely against men, as it is conforming to fit the mold of a Cranford woman. It's slightly high school but I'm sure everyone has claimed to be for or against something just to fit in.

KatieS said...

I appreciate your honesty in sharing your opinions. I also felt this reading was a little dry at first. Perhaps the setting created this awkward feeling. It is not easy to relate the society that is created here. That also makes it more difficult to relate and understand the characters motives. I think it helps to understand this. As I read more I could start to appreciate the story for what it was. I really find it interesting how varied the story is. The perspective stays the same throughout, however each chapter is diverse in what happens all the way down to the characters. I really appreciated this aspect of the story.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.