Monday, September 19, 2011

Cranford Ch 11

As I read Cranford, I can't help but wonder if some of the women are not fully satisfied by the lives they live. When Miss Matty reveals that she dreams about having a daughter, I wonder why she chose to live in Cranford. Why didn't she get married and have a family if that was her heart's desire? The narrator states that they (she and Miss Matty) were glad to have escaped marriage, but Miss Matty states that she shouldn't warn young people of marriage like Miss Pole does, but sees it as more of a risk. She talks about the time when she looked forward to marriage. It's all very contradictory to the Cranford lifestyle.

Jazmin Connor

2 comments:

Cortni M. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cortni M. said...

Although I'm still reading, I will say I believe in Miss Matty's predicament it reflected many of the women of the time who rebelled against the idea of marriage and being bound to a dominant figure forcing you to be submissive with little to no opinions or freedoms in life.

But in this same want to rebel they also want to be somewhat domestic, tending to home, caring for and raising children. I don't believe it made many of the women want children any less but it was a sacrifice that many of them made in order for them to live the free, sort-of "separate" world that they live in, in Cranford.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.