Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Bridget Jones's Diary gave us good insight and comparison to the spinsters of the 19th-20th century and the "modern day spinster". It was interesting to see some of the similarities and differences between the two. There are still traces of pity or negative connotations with being 30 and single --- Bridget's initial perception of herself and trying to change to attract the "perfect man", the dinner party where she was the only one without a spouse/partner and practically harassed for it, etc.

What was most interesting to me, in particular, was the perspective of Bridget's mother when early in the film she explains,
"... I spent thirty-five years cleaning his house... washing his clothes, bringing up his children. To be honest, darling, having children... It's not all that it's cracked up to be. Given my chances again, I'm not sure I'd have any. And now it's the winter of my life... and I haven't got anything of my own. I've got no power, no real career... No sex life. I've got no life at all. I'm like the grasshopper that sang all summer."
Thinking of that quote triggered several different thoughts for me. In one way, she seems to envy Bridget for having her independence and being a single lady, yet continues to push Mark Darcy on her at every given opportunity. In another way, this somewhat reminded me of Crimes, Idiots, Women, and Minors with the idea that women sacrifice their belongings when they become married. In some way, Mrs. Jones feels that she gave up herself during her marriage and taking on the "traditional" role of the wife: cleaning his house, washing his clothes, bringing up his children, insinuating a male-dominated household and/or marriage. 

When Julian, the infomercial man, gives her attention and makes her feel like she's "got great potential", she is so eager and quick to jump right into another type of relationship/fling/whatever that was, while still, in a sense, under the influence of a man --- and willingly so. Once that fizzled out, she went back to her husband. It seemed that she never took time for herself in between. It seemed to me that she couldn't stand to be alone, dependent on the attention, affection, or sense of security that a relationship and/or man provides for her.

What did you all think about that particular quote? Did it strike the same chord or pique your interest in a different way? 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.