Years ago, most women were raised to be "capable" and "good" wives, mothers, and simply domesticated and obedient. And if this was not the route they chose they would then take up an alternative lifestyle of working.
However in todays world women are raised to ideally go to school, have a career, "make something of themselves" and establish independence before focusing on marriage and children. To do it in the opposite order is almost looked down upon if a teenager or young adult decides to have children or become a housewife before she has had time to "live her life" and "enjoy her youth".
While for men the roles and expectations from society have pretty much remained the same, in the sense of them "becoming a man" and being the breadwinner and expressing his masculinity.
I thought this was interesting how the upbringing of women has evolved over time.
3 comments:
I also noticed this change in the upbringing of women. I found that the movie portrayed very well what it would look like for the now a day spinster. It was interesting to see how the other people within the movie felt about Bridget being a spinster. The movie was definitely thought provoking in the way that women were treated around the world as well. I would think that women in another country could definitely be treated differently if she chose to be a spinster. I think it would be interesting to discuss how spinsters around the world would be treated. Don't you?
I think you are right. We have come a long way since the time when men would say "If I marry…" and women were obligated, as they did not have much other options, to say "When I marry…"
Perhaps as a society we have not departed from this entirely, but there is progress!
I think what you stated is interesting, and I noticed this as well. What I found interesting was that Bridget was focused on her career and making something of herself, but at the same time was just as desperate (if not more) to find her perfect man. Her mother and others were also constantly nagging her and encouraging her to get married, as her time was "running out." This element appeared to me to be adding in the old and new version of the spinster. It shows that women were evolving, but that there were still elements that were remaining the same, and it has continued to change up to this day.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.